International & Domestic Arbitration
Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Infrastructure, Building & Construction
LL.B (Hons), University of Liverpool
Dip. Law & Management, Temasek Polytechnic
Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
GOH JIA JIE
Jia Jie graduated from the University of Liverpool with a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) in 2017. He was called to the Singapore Bar in August 2019 and is an Associate with the firm.
With a profound interest in the areas of international and domestic arbitration, Jia Jie has advised and acted for corporations and individuals in arbitration-related proceedings, such as applications to refuse the enforcement of foreign awards under the International Arbitration Act (Cap. 143A). He has been lauded by clients for his ability to understand the complexities of such cases quickly and for his in-depth knowledge of arbitration law.
Jia Jie has also advised and acted for various contractors in adjudications under the Building and Construction Industry Security for Payment Act (Cap. 30B) (“SOP Act”). He was also involved in handling construction related disputes before the Court of Appeal, the High Court and the State Courts of Singapore. He is familiar with navigating the terms of standard form construction contracts such as the SIA and PSSCOC. He is perceptive to the needs of the various stakeholders in the construction industry and always works closely with them to find the most practical solution for their legal problems.
Prior to law school, Jia Jie also worked with prosecuting bodies in Singapore and is experienced with criminal matters. He strongly believes in providing quality legal representation for individuals facing prosecution and strives to achieve justice for them.
Some examples of the matters which Jia Jie has acted or assisted in include but are not limited to the following:
Building and Construction
- Advised and acted successfully for a main contractor in obtaining a judgment in the Singapore High Court against an owner of an industrial building for outstanding payments under a SIA Contract.
- Advised and acted successfully for an owner of a 4-storey residential building in obtaining costs approximating S$1 million against the defendants during taxation proceedings.
- Successfully defended a M&E contractor against an adjudication claim by its sub-contractor which was dismissed in its entirety by the adjudicator.
- Represented a main contractor to defend adjudication proceedings under the SOP Act and successfully obtained a favourable adjudication determination in respect of claims arising from a construction of a childcare centre.
- Represented a main contractor to defend adjudication proceedings under the SOP Act in respect of claims in relation to piling works for a Housing Development Board (HDB) project.
- Assisted in defending a main contractor in adjudication proceedings under the SOP Act against a claim by its sub-contractor in relation to drainage works.
- Assisted in defending a professional engineer against negligence claims in relation to a conservation project before the Court of Appeal.
- Advised and acted for a Singapore-incorporated worldwide distributor of cricket-related content in an application to resist the enforcement of a foreign arbitral award in the excess of US$300,000. The seat of the arbitration was in Mauritius under LCIA-MIAC rules and involved parties from the Indian Subcontinent.
- Advised and acted for a PRC client against subsidiaries of an American multinational corporation to resist the enforcement of a foreign arbitral award in excess of US$130 million. The seat of the arbitration was in Hong Kong SAR under HKIAC rules and involved issues of foreign direct investment under Chinese Law.
- Assisted successfully for a main contractor in resisting a sub-contractor’s application for leave to appeal against an ad hoc domestic arbitral award which awarded the main contractor approximately S$1 million of damages.
- Assisted successfully for a main contractor in obtaining several stay of court proceedings in lieu of arbitration.
- Assisted in drafting a design, supply, testing & commissioning contract for a supplier of fire protection and detection equipment.
- Assisted in reviewing a maintenance and performance guarantee contract for a specialist contractor.
- Advised and acted for a client charged for obstruction of justice and successfully obtained a discharge amounting to an acquittal.